Sunday, March 28, 2010

Quick Tips

Left turners on two way streets… don’t test your luck with them. Simply put, they rather hit a cyclist than hit a car. Though you might be going straight through the intersection and you have the right of way, if that drivers starts to turn and traffic is busy, believe me he will keep going in that turn. Because if the driver stops for you any car going straight through the intersection as well is going to be coming at him at full speed. The intention is not to hit you or cut you off, the fear of being hit by another 10 ton vehicle is less than the fear of hitting a 200lb cyclist. For your own safety give them the right of way, even though their supposed to give it to you.
There are many accidents that I have been through that occurred because I did not react defensively thinking that I shouldn’t have too because I’m in the right. But as we know what should happen, doesn’t happen. The end result is you or your bike being fucked up regardless of in you were in the right. Little by little, the more you ride in traffic the less you care about who should be doing what, who was in the right and learn to start reacting to reality. You learn to detach emotionally from the street and just ride. I still get mad at people who don’t signal their turns. And I still leave myself in awkward and unsafe situations because I feel that the driver isn’t doing the right thing and I expect it him to right him/her self.

No comments:

Post a Comment